gmedogs.freeforums.org
   A support group for owners of dogs with GME (Granulomatous Meningoencephalomyelitis) or NME (Necrotizing Meningoencephalitis)
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:03 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to gmedogs forum

This forum was created as a support group for owners of dogs with GME (Granulomatous Meningoencephalomyelitis) or NME (Necrotizing Meningoencephalitis). The board is a place to share whatever you want with others who know what you are going through.
As a guest, you can read all the posts, but you will need to register to post something of your own.
I hope you find comfort and support in this group. Despite this disease's grim prognosis, new treatments have given hope to many dogs out there.

**This forum is Not Intended for and Does Not Give Veterinary Advice. Any articles or posts by members are intended for general information purposes only. Nothing here should be considered "veterinary advice", which can only be given to you by your own veterinarian or other professional. Some information you read on this site may be inappropriate for your own situation, or you may misinterpret something in a way that could be distressing or harmful to your pet. You should ALWAYS consult with a veterinarian before giving your pet any medications, herbal or otherwise, or before trying any form of treatment!!
This site is wholly owned and operated by non-veterinarians. Any information contained in this forum is from member postings only. This site is not intended for veterinary evaluation, diagnosis, or treatment purposes.**

Post subject: Cellcept
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hello Dog Lovers, Kizmet my Jack Russel has had GME since Jan. He has been on the Pred. and Cyclosporine... and after reducing the Pred. last time showed signs of neurological deterioration. His Pred. was highered and his Neurologist mentioned Cellcept as an additional option. We will take him in next week for a visit.

My question is...have any of your pets taken Cellcept....and can you tell me your experience? dosage, side effects, was it helpful? Can you tell me the approx. cost Thanks so much. :?: Kizmet's Mom

Kizmet
GME Beginning of Jan
High dose of Pred with Cyclosporine and Antibiotics
Currently Pred 5mg 2x a day....Cyclo 50 mg 1x a day

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Cellcept
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:00 pm 

What is it? I'm not familiar with it and I've not seen it mentioned here. If theres something else they're using now to help in the fight, I'm interested to know more.

Remained in remission, but lost the battle with arthritis December 2011

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm 

I will let you know more after my visit with the neurologist...but this is some info I found on the internet...

Mycophenolate (CellCept) is used with other medications to help prevent transplant organ rejection (attack of the transplanted organ by the immune system of the person receiving the organ) in people who have received kidney, heart, and liver transplants. Mycophenolate (Myfortic) is used with other medications to help prevent the body from rejecting kidney transplants. Mycophenolate is in a class of medications called immunosuppressive agents. It works by weakening the body's immune system so it will not attack and reject the transplanted organ.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:52 am 

You could try tiger1hill@aol.com who has posted on here. I recall Tiger was on CellCept, although it may have been for arthritis?

I had looked into it extensively a year or so ago and tried to get Dr. Sisson, Boy's neurologist to let him try it, but he felt it was too dangerous. I think he was being overly conservative, simply because he had never used it before, so please let us know how it goes. Boy has been having trouble tolerating chemotherapy (over-suppression of his bone marrow), so CellCept may be the last thing we can try.

I think most neurologists tend to use leflunomide more commonly than cellcept for GME, but I do recall seeing a couple of other dogs on it over the past two years, so I'd certainly be game if Boy's neurologist were willing.

Good luck!

Gillian & Boy

6/11: Stopped chemo
2/12: Stopped leflunomide; 3/12 CyA every 2 days
4/12: Relapse; treatment

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 pm 

I will let you all know. Our appointment is next week. Thank you for your replies.

Report this post

Post subject: Cellcept
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:07 am 

Because of alot of things going on, we are having out appointment with Kizzie's Neurologist this Friday...so will let you know what we hear about the Cellcept. He is doing well glad to say.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 am 

Kizmet had his visit to the Neurologist and we discussed Cellcept, a medication the Dr. talked about when I was concerned about lowering his prednisone dosage. I wanted to make sure there was something as a back up in case there was a reoccurance of his GME. The last time his pred was lowered, he had a little relapse.

The Dr. has used it recently and although it has been good as an immunosuppressant, the intestinal side effects do not make it worth using.
He said he won't be using it.
Kizmet
GME since Jan 2012 in back
Currently on 5 mg Pred 2x a day
50 mg Cyclosporine 1x a day

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:23 am 

Hi i am facing a serious problem with my dog he is of Labradoodle breeders, he is behaving very strange from last month, he was stucked by a car few weeks ago, he got an injury in his head and from that day he some times get angry on our family members even he tried to bite me yesterday , i am very scare of his behavior, before this he is very polite to all of us, sometimes i think that he is unable to know us , please suggest me what to do...

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:40 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
I started Babe Ruth on this last Sunday, she was getting oral ulcerations from the Procarbazine she was on. The neurologist said if after ten days we don't experience any set backs then we should be good to continue lowering her prednisone. She seems to be doing good.

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]